2008-01-20

For the Beauty of the Earth

The following experience happened to me several months ago:

I can't remember where I was coming from exactly but I remember being in my car traveling southbound in front of the Provo Temple. I noticed out of the corner of my left eye that on the other side of the road a trash can had been knocked over or had fallen on its side. Paper, cardboard, food and all sorts of "fun stuff" had been scattered at least 50 feet down the sidewalk and road by the wind. It was ALL OVER THE PLACE! The front yard of the house it was in front of was pretty bad too (let me pause for a second to just say that I'm not a tree hugging flower boy, but this was a bit much for me to pass by and pretend I didn't see.) I flipped a U turn at the light in front of the Creamery on 9th and headed back several hundred feet. It took me about 10 minutes to gather it up and put it back in it's place. When I got down to the last few pieces of paper I noticed that I was picking up pages from someone's old sheet-music. I didn't look to see what song it was because just as I reached down to pick it up I noticed I was being watched by someone. She wasn't exactly giving me the 'pleasant smile' kind of look and was probably wondering why I was picking up pieces of paper in her front yard (bum!). I just kinda half way smiled and said, "the wind must have blown the trash can over and it was all over the place so I thought I'd stop and clean it up." She thanked me, got in her car and went on her way. As I lifted the lid to the trash can to put the last of it in I saw the words to the song on these two pages and the name in the lower left hand corner. TRUE STORY!!!

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Kirk- It is ok to be a tree hugging flower boy. Embrace it! Just kidding- good story, thanks for sharing.

Kirk said...

Haha, you're right! It is ok to be one of those. I like daisies! :|

MJ said...

good for you! I'm impressed - i was sure that i was the only one who cared about litter.